The course, which celebrated its centenary in 2103, was created by Harry Shapland Colt, the famous golf course architect who designed over 300 courses around the world.
In 1912, the Oxley Park Golf Club was formed by a group of local entrepreneurs including the then owner, Judge Henry Staveley Hill K.C., M.P. They employed Harry Shapland Colt, to lay down the first eighteen holes. Colt was also responsible for the design and remodelling of many famous courses including the New and Eden courses at St Andrews, Muirfield, Sunningdale as well as courses all over the world.
Judge Henry was educated at Westminster School and St. John's College Oxford. A barrister, he was Recorder of Banbury from 1903-1922 and M.P. for Kingswinford from 1905- 1918. In 1901 he married Eileen de Grey Darcy, and they lived at New Oxley House until his father Alexander's death, when they moved to Oxley Manor.
During the Great War Henry served as Lieutenant Colonel Commanding the 2/1 Staffordshire Yeomanry 1916-17. In 1920 the family left Oxley and their house was demolished in 1929. From 1922-28 Henry Staveley-Hill was a County Court Judge. He died on March 25th 1946 at his home "Oxley" at Evesham. His wife died on December 12th 1968. They are both buried in the family grave at Bushbury, Wolverhampton.
There is a current recipricol arrangement if you are a member of a Harry Colt designed course.We require Current CONGU Handicap Certificate as proof of membership for a reduced green fee.
For the current list of participating clubs please click here.
Judge Henry Staveley Hill K.C., M.P
Harry Shapland Colt